A Business with Purpose
We’re committed to helping leave this a better world than we found it.
As tourism is one of the largest employers on the planet, it has a major impact on peoples’ economic well-being and the planet’s health. Furthermore, adventure tourism is inextricably dependent on human- and nature-capital; protection and promotion of these resources is key. EverGreen Escapes serves as an example that supports and engenders these efforts. While we believe that no organization is perfect in its actions regarding responsibility and sustainability, we affirm that it is our intent to achieve such goals.
PROTECTION OF CHILDREN
- We believe in the protection of children from harmful effects of tourism and are a signatory of TheCode.org.
- Additionally, to help end child trafficking and prostitution, EverGreen Escapes donates 1% of all proceeds to ECPAT-USA, the American arm of an international organization that works to end the commercial exploitation of children for sexual purposes.
Sustainability is not just about sustaining our environment, it is about the people and cultures that depend upon the environment as well as sustainable working economies. EverGreen Escapes strives to be not only environmentally sustainable, but also socially sustainable. Sustainable tourism benefits local communities and travelers without compromising the enjoyment of future generations.
Here are some ways we strive to reduce our footprint on the planet:
- We strive for zero waste on our tours by using reusable water bottles, plates and cutlery.
- We actively recycle and compost waste we do produce and help close the loop by buying recycled products.
- We choose socially responsible partners who care about the impact of their operations.
- We source our food, beverages and products locally whenever possible and share these local places with our visitors.
- We contribute to the conservation of the natural, welfare and cultural heritage of the areas we visit by donating a portion of our proceeds to non-profits of diverse size and backgrounds.
- Sustainable tourism practices are visibly demonstrated in practice on all of our trips.
- We promote and choose local, organic and fair-trade products when available.
- We promote self-propelled adventures: cycling, hiking, kayaking, etc
- Transportation to and from activities are in fuel efficient vehicles running on Bio-Diesel
- EverGreen Escapes is a founding member of the PURE Travel Collaborative – a non profit focusing on raising the bar on sustainable tourism in Cascadia.
- See our other memberships here.
We believe in the universal standards put forth by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (Based on the UNWTO’s Global Code of Ethics for Tourism), and that tourism businesses and destinations should adopt the criteria specifically in these four areas:
- Demonstrating effective sustainable management
- Maximizing social and economic benefits to the local community and minimizing negative impacts
- Maximizing benefits to cultural heritage and minimizing negative impacts
- Maximizing benefits to the environment and minimizing negative impacts
Our commitment is to constantly evaluate what we are doing and what we should be doing. Sustainability is a process not a destination. Your advice, feedback and questions all help us in this endeavor. Your business allows us to continue and expand our efforts.