All-Inclusive | Small Group Overnight Tour
Our escapes seat a max of 10 | Private Escapes are available on request for any size group
Overnight | Mon, Sat | Summer May 15 – October 31 | From $495 per person
This overnight escape offers the best of both worlds. Spend day one exploring waterfalls, tasting Oregon wines and learning the history of the Columbia River Gorge, then head to Skamania Lodge, a magnificent mountain resort nestled on 175 wooded acres for the night. Day two you’ll experience the “Blast Zone” of Mt. St. Helens, the region’s most powerful attraction. Go spelunking in the Ape Caves and take in some stunning views into the steaming volcano, the growing lava dome, and the world’s youngest glacier.
Day 1 | COLUMBIA GORGE WINE AND WATERFALLS
Today we set out to explore two of the greatest attractions of the Pacific Northwest – the Columbia Gorge and Oregon wines! As we travel along the mighty Columbia River we will be on the lookout for Bald Eagles and Osprey, while admiring the towering basalt cliffs and other fascinating rock formations formed when the now tame River cut it’s way violently through the Cascade Mountain Range. On a clear day, white-cloaked volcanic peaks loom over us like sentinels guarding the majestic landscape.
We will drive along the Historic Columbia River Highway, where you are greeted at nearly every bend of the road with another breath-taking view. Here we can take in a few of the 70 waterfalls found in the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area, including the second tallest perennial waterfall in the US, Multnomah Falls. Opportunities for hiking, splashing, and photography abound, as trails to, under, and around these natural beauties provide ample access for every kind of adventurer. As we continue heading east, the wet forests of the coastal Pacific Northwest give way to Garry Oak, Ponderosa Pines, and other more arid vegetation, creating prime growing conditions for grapes. Nearing the town of Hood River we will embark on a tour of a few local wineries, each one unique and charming in its own way, and of course sample some of the boutique wines found only here in Oregon. The weather, views, and wines make for an unparalleled vineyard experience.
While we are between wineries your guide will tell the story of the land, both natural and cultural history, so that with each sip of wine you can begin to understand and experience a little more how the forces that shaped this incredible landscape have also shaped the wine in your glass, creating a terroir that can only be found in this secluded paradise. Some of the wineries we may visit include Marchesi, Hood River Vineyards, Cathedral Ridge, Wy’East Vineyards and Pheasant Valley. After our fill of excellent wines, we’ll head to Skamania Lodge to relax, refresh and reminisce.
Sleep: Skamania Lodge
DAY 2 | MT. ST. HELENS NATIONAL MONUMENT
Mt. St. Helens is unquestionably one of our region’s most iconic, well-known, and “powerful” attractions. Approaching Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument from the south, locals and visitors to Portland have the unique opportunity to enjoy both spelunking at the Ape Cave, the largest continuous lava tube in the continental United States, as well as exploring the visitor centers in and around the “Blast Zone.” Stopping to take scenic photos along the way, your naturalist will present dramatic evidence to just how well the ecosystem is recovering and the impressive ongoing reforestation project. Just five miles from the crater at the Johnston Ridge Observatory, a world-class visitor center, we take in some stunning views into the steaming volcano, the growing lava dome, and the world’s youngest glacier. Your naturalist will share the drama of the geological events surrounding the 1980 eruption through a variety of stories, facts, and walks. Experience how volcanoes are monitored and discover how Mount St. Helens has taught us new answers to old mysteries, all the while keeping an eye out for wildlife, including deer, elk, beavers, otters, and a diverse array of bird species.
NOTE: When the Johnston Ridge Observatory is closed in winter, we will drive as far as the conditions allow and take the opportunity for a snowshoe hike
Columbia Gorge to Mt. St. Helens Overnight Adventure
- Activities | Hiking, spelunking, wine tasting, nature walks, waterfall viewing, wildlife viewing, birding, ecological & geological sightseeing with naturalist interpretation
- Interests | Forest ecology, glaciology, volcanoes, caves, waterfalls, wine, rivers, botany, natural & local history, geology
- Group Size | Maximum of 10
- Pick-up and Drop-off at your Downtown Portland Hotel or Cruise Terminal
- Highly qualified naturalist Escape Artist guide
- Travel in adventure-outfitted Mercedes Vans and luxury SUVs
- Seasonal snacks and refreshments throughout the tour
- Locally sourced and/or organic lunch on Day 2
- All wine tasting fees
- All entry fees
- Overnight accommodations at Skamania Lodge
- Comprehensive naturalist commentary
- Duration | 2 days, 1 night
- Difficulty | Easy
- All-Inclusive Rate | From $495 per person
- Age | 6+
Ask about customizing this as a private escape!
EverGreen Escapes is Cascadia’s premier local and sustainable adventure, nature and epicurean tour company. Specializing in private and small group, naturalist led escapes in bio-fueled Mercedes Vans and Crossovers. We’re a small business with a Big Mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people with places and nature. Our guides aren’t just naturalists, they’re Escape Artists.
- We recommend wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sunshine. Comfortable walking shoes will allow you to explore further at some of our stops. It’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. See more on how to Pack and Prepare.
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- All of our scheduled departures are meant for beginners (easy to moderate). We try to cater our tours to all ability and interest levels – and this really depends on the group that day. Your Escape artist will choose the difficulty of the physical activity based on the group’s interest and ability level. If you are interested in a different level, we can certainly put together a private itinerary specifically for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding specific questions!
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests, we can accommodate vegetarian diets, lactose intolerant diets, and often times can also accommodate gluten free diets when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
|15 days or more before the tour date.||Any change, including a rescheduling of the tour date, will incur a $25 per booking change fee. Any cancellation will incur a $50 per booking cancellation fee.|
|8-14 days before the tour date.||Any change, including a rescheduling of the tour date, will incur a $25 per booking change fee. Any cancellation will incur a fee equal to 50% of the total booking amount.|
|Within 7 days of the tour date||Any change, including a rescheduling of the tour date, will incur a $50 per booking change fee. No refunds given for cancellation.|
|*Please note: Change and cancellation fees do not include penalties incurred by third parties. Other cancellation fees or refunds for customer cancellation are at the discretion of the hotels, tour operators, caterers, rental car agencies and other Service Providers with which EGE has reserved on the customer’s behalf for travel and tour related services. Insurance purchases are always non-refundable.|
5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We recommend that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover penalty costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection as well as some loss and delay coverage. Travel insurance can be purchased directly from EverGreen Escapes.
Prefer a private tailor-made adventure for your friends, family or corporate group?
Thank you for Exploring Cascadia with the Local Experts.