All-Inclusive | Small Group Tour
Our escapes seat a max of 10 | Private Escapes are available on request for any size group
Mon, Wed, Sat | 7:30am – 7:30pm | Summer May 15 – Oct 31 | $225.00
This haunting and beautiful journey takes you into the heart of Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. Witness how the ecosystem is recovering and the on-going reforestation project. Just miles from the crater, view the steaming volcano. Then head out with your naturalist guide on a walk to learn about how volcanoes are monitored and the geological events surrounding the 1980 eruption.
- Mt. St. Helens visitor center
- Scenic viewpoints
- Hiking, nature walks
- Waterfall viewing
- Wildlife spotting
- Geological Sightseeing
- Local & Natural History
- Cascadian Safari Lunch
Today we make our way to the one of our region’s most ‘powerful’ main attractions, Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. Stopping to take photos along the way your naturalist will present dramatic evidence to just how well the ecosystem is recovering and the impressive ongoing reforestation project.
Arriving into the blast-zone, just 5 miles from the crater at the Johnston Ridge Observatory we take in some stunning views into the steaming volcano. Your naturalist will share the magic of the geological events surrounding the 1980 eruption through a variety of stories, facts and walks. Experience how volcanoes are monitored and discover how Mount St. Helens has taught us new answers to old mysteries. The Center’s state-of-the-art interpretive displays and theater magically portray the sequence of geologic events that transformed the landscape and opened up a new era in the science of monitoring an active volcano and forecasting eruptions. Read amazing eyewitness accounts from eruption survivors.
We embark on short walk on the Eruption Trail and learn how the eruption shaped the surrounding landscape. You can expect to see views of the lava dome, crater, pumice plain, and the landslide deposit. On the return, we experience the Hummocks Trail, the largest landslide in recorded human history, in Coldwater Lake Recreation Area to see first hand how the environment was left to respond naturally to the eruption at 8:32 Sunday morning, May 18, 1980.
Nearly 230 square miles of forest was blown down or buried beneath volcanic deposits. At the same time a mushroom-shaped column of ash rose thousands of feet skyward and drifted downwind, turning day into night as dark, gray ash fell over eastern Washington and beyond. The eruption lasted 9 hours, but Mount St. Helens and the surrounding landscape were dramatically changed within moments.
*We operate under a Commerical Use Authorization within the Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument and the Gifford-Pinchot National Forest.
Would you like some wine with that?
Enhance this experience by making it an overnight Wild and Wine Adventure! After your tour in Mt. St. Helens National Monument, spend the night in the heart of Pike Place Market, and then explore Woodinville Wine Country for an exclusive experience tasting some of the best wine of the region!
Full day Mt. St. Helens National Monument Tour
- Activities | Hiking and/or snowshoeing, nature walks, waterfall viewing, wildlife viewing, birding, ecological &
geological sightseeing with naturalist interpretation
- Interests | Forest ecology, glaciology, waterfalls, botany, natural & local history (wildflowers in late Summer)
- Group Size | Maximum of 10
- Pick-up and Drop-off at your Downtown Seattle Hotel, Cruise Terminal or downtown Columbia Sportswear retail store (290 Pine St.)
- Highly qualified naturalist Escape Artist guide
- Travel in adventure-outfitted Mercedes Vans and luxury SUVs
- Locally sourced and/or organic lunch
- Seasonal snacks and refreshments throughout the tour
- All entry fees
- Comprehensive naturalist commentary
- Duration | 12 hours
- Difficulty | Beginner
- Season | May 15 – Oct 31
- All-Inclusive Rate | $225 + tax per person
- Age | 6+
Ask about customizing this as a private escape!
EverGreen Escapes is Cascadia’s premier local and sustainable adventure, nature and epicurean tour company. Specializing in private and small group, naturalist led escapes in bio-fueled Mercedes Vans and Crossovers. We’re a small business with a Big Mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people with places and nature. Our guides aren’t just naturalists, they’re Escape Artists.
- We recommend wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sunshine. Comfortable walking shoes will allow you to explore further at some of our stops. It’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. See more on how to Pack and Prepare.
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- All of our scheduled departures are meant for beginners (easy to moderate). We try to cater our tours to all ability and interest levels – and this really depends on the group that day. Your Escape artist will choose the difficulty of the physical activity based on the group’s interest and ability level. If you are interested in a different level, we can certainly put together a private itinerary specifically for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding specific questions!
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests, we can accommodate vegetarian diets, lactose intolerant diets, and often times can also accommodate gluten free diets when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
|15 days or more before the tour date.||Any change, including a rescheduling of the tour date, will incur a $25 per booking change fee. Any cancellation will incur a $50 per booking cancellation fee.|
|8-14 days before the tour date.||Any change, including a rescheduling of the tour date, will incur a $25 per booking change fee. Any cancellation will incur a fee equal to 50% of the total booking amount.|
|Within 7 days of the tour date||Any change, including a rescheduling of the tour date, will incur a $50 per booking change fee. No refunds given for cancellation.|
|*Please note: Change and cancellation fees do not include penalties incurred by third parties. Other cancellation fees or refunds for customer cancellation are at the discretion of the hotels, tour operators, caterers, rental car agencies and other Service Providers with which EGE has reserved on the customer’s behalf for travel and tour related services. Insurance purchases are always non-refundable.|
5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We recommend that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover penalty costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection as well as some loss and delay coverage. Travel insurance can be purchased directly from EverGreen Escapes.
Prefer a private tailor-made adventure for your friends, family or corporate group?
Thank you for Exploring Cascadia with the Local Experts.